Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Gossip...

Last week I was supposed to give up gossiping. Well, I should be giving up gossiping all together but it was on the agenda for the week during my 40 day Inner Mean Girl Cleanse. Here’s what I think about giving up gossip.

It’s difficult.

Gossip isn’t just talking negatively about people it’s talking about people in general; secretly asking your friends about other friends, watching celebrity lives fall apart, listening to others talk about people, etc. I found it most difficult because I am a talker and a sharer. I like to keep my friends updated on my life and the things happening in it. Let’s face it I’m a gossip.

There were moments in the week where I thought to myself, “This is gossip. How do I get out of it?” It was just very hard to avoid. I tried not listening and not contributing but I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to rid myself completely of gossip in my life. I’m still working on it though.

I don’t think it is just a female thing either. There have been many times when male coworkers, friends, or family have confided in me their stories of others. It was strange to realize how often that happens and it will definitely take more than a week for me to work on the ‘no gossip’ idea but I will try to break the habit!

This week we are dealing with comparison. Not comparing myself to others seems as if it’ll be easier but who knows what the week will bring!

His Holiness the Dalai Lama wrote on his Twitter sometime last week: “Noticing a single shortcoming in ourselves is far more useful than seeing a thousand in someone else. When it is our own: we can correct it. “

Perfect.

1 comment:

  1. That is the perfect sentiment for this week, for sure. and I'm still working on conquering the gossip, that one is soo tough.

    ReplyDelete